Under the academic authorization of Tribhuvan University (TU), all the Departments of the Institute of Engineering (IOE), Pulchowk Campus are eligible to offer study and research programs leading to the award of the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.).
The award of the Ph.D. degree is in recognition of high achievement in independent research and application of the knowledge. The key requirement is the preparation, submission, and defense of a dissertation. The dissertation shall be a report of a research work characterized by either discovery of new facts or a new interpretation of known facts and theory or an independent design and development or development of a new instrument or technology.
The minimum qualification required of students seeking admission to the Ph.D. program of study is a Master’s degree or equivalent in the related field from TU or other institutions of higher education recognized by TU. Full time working candidates must submit leave acceptance letter from the respective authority for the study period. There are two types of Doctoral Study programs; i.e. Fulltime Scholar and Non-Fulltime Scholar. Doctoral study is normally of a minimum three years duration of full-time enrollment for fulltime scholar students and a minimum of five years of duration study for Non-Fulltime Scholars.
Institute of Engineering will annually invite applications for entry to the Ph.D. research study degree program along with other graduate programs through a public notification that will include the list of departments, where students may undertake Ph.D. research.
Only those students who meet all the requirements of the university, institute, and departments as set forth in the notice may apply. Applications for enrolment must be made in the official form issued by the Institute for the purpose of the particular academic year.
Along with the application in the approved forms, the applicants to Ph.D. Degree must also submit the following documents:
- A preliminary research proposal: The research proposal shall outline the research that the student is proposing to undertake for the doctoral degree. It should consist of an introduction, topic definition, purpose of research, the importance of research and research originality, research problem and research questions, a short literature review to indicate the validity of research purpose and research questions and state of research works on the issue at local, regional and global levels, the hypothesis of problem solutions if any, proposed methodology/field and laboratory needs, synopsis/state of research if already embarked upon, expected output in terms of discoveries, theories or interpretations and or possibilities, references, and bibliography. A calendar of activities that need to be undertaken so as to achieve the research proposal (spread over about two and half years) shall also be included. The research proposal shall be presented in about 2000 words.
- A portfolio of works, a list of published and unpublished research reports with synopsis copies of not more than three of such published/unpublished research articles, research reports that give an idea of research achievement of the past or are otherwise felt as important contributions. At least one research article published in national/international journals or, graduate conferences or, national/international conferences is a must. The candidate should be the first author for the eligibility of the article. The articles or editorials published in the local newspaper will not be entertained.
- Two letters of recommendation from referees, one of which shall be preferably from academic faculty from the previous institutions. These shall be in the format/forms provided in the official admission document.
- The statement of purpose: These shall be a statement of the student’s purpose in applying for graduate study, the particular area of specialization within the major field, plans for future occupation or profession, and additional information that may assist the selection committee in evaluating the preparation and aptitude for graduate study.
- Applying students must need to clearly state the category of their study programs and must provide the required documentation.
Applicants are reminded that the major basis of selection will be the evaluation of the research proposal submitted by the applicant and presentation to DRC. If the proposed research area of the students fit into the broad topical framework of research identified for the concerned department under their research inter-linkage programs and have a strong national relevance, the chances of acceptance for admission would be better. Prospective students are encouraged to consult with faculty members and potential research supervisors prior to submitting applications.
Application documents, publications, presentations, and preliminary research proposals will be reviewed by the respective Departmental Research Committee (DRC). The DRC would appoint subject specialists from within IOE or other co-operating academic institutions, to review and evaluate publications and preliminary research proposal and make necessary recommendations on them. Applicants with research proposals not recommended for admission by two subject specialist(s) will be excluded from further processing. The DRC will review other documents along with the specialist recommendations and interview the candidates under the general guidelines and standards for review and evaluation of applications as approved by the Institute of Engineering Research Committee (IERC).
The scrutiny and evaluation of the application will be based on past academic performance, research publications, the relevance of proposed research and the results of the interview and DRC will make recommendations to IERC for admission or otherwise. IERC may direct DRC, from time to time and through specific regulations, to review existing criteria.
IERC has the formal authority to accept students for doctoral studies. The accepted applicants will be offered admission to the related Departments in Pulchowk. Campus. For details please refer to rules and regulations for Ph.D. in this document (Rules and Regulations for Ph.D. Programs).